Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Yo Hablo Espanol?‏

Its been pretty fun this past week trying to keep on top of things. I think I mentioned that We were teaching a man named Carlos, and yes, he is Mexican. Which is way sweet!! I love teaching and working with the Brown brothers! Its really fun too because though he understands most of what we say, he doesn't speak very well. Likewise with my Spanish I can get what he's trying to say most of the time, but I know I'm butchering all of the grammar and congregations of verbs. But its ok. We both get our points across for the most part and he really loves us coming over. We will be going over tonight with a member who served a Spanish speaking mission in California and are going to extend a baptismal invitation! So its way exciting. 
 
A few weeks ago we got a referral from Pres. Pitt to go visit a man he talked to in Taco Bell. President Pitt is an awesome example because he's never hesitant to share the Gospel where ever he goes. We only got the Address for the man who happened to live in Walker West Virginia which is in the Rural part of our area. Looking on the map we tried to decided the best way to get there. Either A: take the long way on the highway, or B: take a back road and save miles. We of course chose B and decided to go on an adventure. We ended going up and over several mountains on a one lane pot-hole-and-gravel road out in the Boonies. It was way fun to drive don't get me wrong, but I decided there could probably be a more effective way to work. So I gave in and bought a GPS. And actually I think it will be worth it. I went through and uploaded the ward roster on it so we always know where the members are and who we can work with in a specific area. I don't need it much for getting around in the city but its proven helpful in finding country homes and points of interest. Found out there's a Lebanese restaurant downtown I would like to try out! Cultured food yay!
 
Also Friday was an exciting time in the mission as we had Elder Pieper of the 70 come to Address us. It was a long meeting lasting nearly 8 hours of teaching. Half of the mission met in Charleston and the Rest met the next day in Roanoke. He spoke to us on many topics including Finding the Elect, How to use Missionary work to bless the Members, and how to use peoples desires to help them make Righteous covenants with God. It was an intense meeting and I have already been able to start applying the principles that he gave us. I think one of the coolest things about being instructed in missionary work is I've never been instructed on tactics to convince people the Gospel is true. Its always been things more along the lines of "Learn to love them to open their hearts", "Listen closely to the Spirit for what to say", "Serve others as much as possible, Regardless of their interest in the Message".  There's a wonderful quote from Elder Packer of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles which goes something like this:
"A study of true doctrine will do more to help improve behaviour, than a study of Behaviour will improve behaviour."
I've come to know that that's a true statement and I've seen it work. We are taught to apply principles in our lives, so that we can become more effective in the lives of others. Everything else I've had to learn by experience. The knocking on doors, talking to people in the Street, making more than awkward phone calls. Not much in the manual on that. But that's also been the fun part of it too. 
 
We also had some rough doors this past week. Every now and then we get one that is particularly unpleasant and we have to remind our selves that even Christ himself was persecuted. The very Son of God was hated for his Testimony and rejected by his own. Are the Servants better than the Master? Always a humbling thought. 
 
Its Transfers tomorrow, but I will be staying here with Elder Heiner. I'm stoked. We have some Great "Compunity". Sisters will be doubling out the Elders in Marietta and Elder Dailey will Replace Elder Reidhead in Parkersburg south. So some interesting changes in the District but that should be ok too. I think Thats all.
 
Love ya!
Elder Sunada
 

No comments:

Post a Comment